2.5 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
1/2 stick of butter or margarine
1. In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients – all purpose flour, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl. Mix thoroughly so that all ingredients are blended well.
2. Add the butter or margarine to the bowl and begin to mix in the dry ingredients into with your hands. The mixture should still be dry but a little thicker after thoroughly mixing in butter or margarine.
3. Add water to mixture and begin kneading for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes a smooth dough like ball. Set dough aside in a bowl covered with cling wrap and keep in dry area for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
4. Remove dough from the bowl and cut into 6-9 pieces or as many as desired (be cautious though that balls too large may not cook properly in the pan – the smaller the size, the better it will cook)! Roll pieces into balls and set aside.
5. Heat a pan of oil on medium heat and add dough balls into pan when hot. Turn balls on each side until they become a golden brown color. Remove the donuts from pan once it is completely golden brown. Set on a paper towel to pat excess oil off.
6. (Optional) – add powdered sugar to top off the donuts and enjoy!